Skip to main content

‘Fatal mistake’ for countries to assume they won’t get virus, warns WHO chief

SAN FIORANO (Italy): Two-year-old Bianca Toniolo has made a bed out of handkerchiefs for her doll at home in San Fiorano, one of the towns in Italy on lockdown due to the coronavirus outbreak. The picture was taken by her father.—Reuters
SAN FIORANO (Italy): Two-year-old Bianca Toniolo has made a bed out of handkerchiefs for her doll at home in San Fiorano, one of the towns in Italy on lockdown due to the coronavirus outbreak. The picture was taken by her father.—Reuters

GENEVA: It would be a “fatal mistake” for any country to assume it will not be hit by the new coronavirus, and rich countries that might have thought they were safer should expect surprises, the head of the World Health Organisation said on Thursday.

The head of the WHO’s emergency programme said Iran, which has so far reported the most deaths outside of China, may be dealing with an outbreak that is worse than yet understood. He also said discussions were being held with organisers about the fate of the Olympic games scheduled for July in Japan.

“No country should assume it won’t get cases, that would be a fatal mistake, quite literally,” WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.

“And I even say if you take Italy, a member of the G7, it was really a surprise. So even many other developed countries you also see some surprises, should expect some surprises.” Tedros said epidemics in Iran, Italy and South Korea were at a “decisive point “: still marked by clusters of infections with some transmission in communities, but not yet by sustained community transmission.

The WHO declared the outbreak an international emergency on Jan. 30 and has been urging countries to ready screening, isolation wards and public education campaigns.

More than 82,000 infected globally

“This virus has pandemic potential,” Tedros said. “This is not a time for fear. This is a time for taking action to prevent infection and save lives now.” He said U.S. President Donald Trump was right in suggesting hygienic measures similar to those to prevent flu, such as frequent hand washing.

Iran said on Thursday its death toll from coronavirus had risen to 26 and the total number of infected people now stood at 245, the highest number of deaths from the virus outside China.

Asked about Iran’s nearly 10 per cent death rate among known cases, Dr. Mike Ryan, head of WHO’s emergencies programme, said it was an indication that the disease might have spread further in Iran than revealed in the official figures.

“The most likely factor is obviously this disease came unseen and undetected into Iran, the extent of infection may be broader than we think,” he said.

Japan to close schools

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe asked all elementary, middle and high schools nationwide on Thursday to close until late March to help control the spread of the new virus in the country. The request caught many local officials by surprise. While not legally binding, it is expected to be largely followed. It will affect 12.8 million students at about 34,800 schools nationwide, according to the education ministry.

The coming week or two is an extremely important time, Abe said. This is to prioritize the health and safety of the children and take precautions to avoid the risk of possible large-scale infections.

The decision comes amid growing concern about the rise in the number of untraceable cases of the virus in northern Japan and elsewhere. Japan now has more than 910 cases, including 705 from a quarantined cruise ship. An eighth death from the virus was confirmed Thursday on the northern island of Hokkaido.

Abe’s announcement came hours after several local governments had announced their own decisions to suspend classes for shorter periods.

Officials in Hokkaido said they were closing all 1,600 elementary and middle schools. Hokkaido now has 54 confirmed cases, the largest in in the country outside the cruise ship.

Some local governments quickly said they will abide by the request, but others criticised the short notice and said it would affect working parents who need to find sitters for young school children.

Country-by-country breakdown

The viral outbreak that began in China has infected more than 82,000 people globally. The World Health Organisation has named the illness COVID-19, referring to its origin late last year and the coronavirus that causes it.

The latest figures reported by each government’s health authority as of Thursday: Mainland China: 2,744 deaths among 78,497 cases, mostly in the central province of Hubei; Hong Kong: 92 cases, 2 deaths; Macao: 10 cases; South Korea: 1,766 cases, 13 deaths; Japan: 918 cases, including 705 from the Diamond Princess cruise ship, 8 deaths; Italy: 447 cases, 12 deaths; Iran: 254 cases, 26 deaths; Singapore: 96; United States: 60; Kuwait: 43; Thailand: 40; Bahrain: 33; Taiwan: 32 cases, 1 death; Australia: 23; Malaysia: 23; Germany: 21; France: 17 cases, 2 deaths; Spain: 17; Vietnam: 16; United Kingdom: 15; United Arab Emirates: 13; Canada: 12; Iraq: 6; Russia: 5; Switzerland: 4; Oman: 4; Philippines: 3 cases, 1 death; India: 3; Croatia: 3; Greece: 3; Israel: 3; Lebanon: 3; Pakistan: 2; Finland: 2; Austria: 2; Sweden: 2; Egypt: 1; Algeria: 1; Afghanistan: 1; North Macedonia: 1; Georgia: 1; Estonia: 1; Belgium: 1; Romania: 1; Nepal: 1; Sri Lanka: 1; Cambodia: 1; Norway: 1; Denmark: 1; and Brazil: 1.

Published in Dawn, February 28th, 2020



from The Dawn News - Home https://ift.tt/3cfzaON
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sialkot police bust gang of robbers, seize over Rs20m looted cash

SIALKOT: Police on Tuesday claimed to have busted an infamous gang of robbers and seized Rs20.3 million looted cash from their possession, ARY News reported. A spokesperson for the police confirmed the arrests saying the eight-member gang had looted a pharmaceutical company’s truck full of medicine. He said the looted cash to the tune of Rs20.3 million was also recovered from their possession. The police said the recovered cash and truck have been handed over to their owner. Read More: Youngster battles for life as Punjab police ‘mistakenly’ opens fire on him Earlier, on June 20, Karachi police had apprehended six robbers allegedly involved in a bank robbery of Rs10.5 million last month. The robbers had produced Rs9 million from the bank robbery in front of the police after being taken under arrest. The police also recovered the weapons used by the criminals in the bank robbery. The gang was stated to have a previous record of robbing various places in the city, the police said. ...

Peshawar security forces kill four suspected terrorists

The Peshawar Counter-Terrorism Department personnel gunned down four suspected terrorists after raiding their hideout on the Kohat Road Monday. According to the security forces, the suspects were plotting an attack. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been seized too. On Monday evening, a special CTD team raided the hideout after surrounding it and exchanged fire with them. No CTD personnel was injured in the operation. from SAMAA https://ift.tt/2V8MRbn

Headlines 9am: Karachi to face power outages, coronavirus cases rise

Here are the headlines from SAMAA TV’s 9am bulletin. Pakistan has begun reporting fewer coronavirus infections in the last couple of days. In the last 24 hours, 3,964 cases were reported with 105 deaths. Around 73,000 recoveries have been confirmed so far. Three people were killed in a collision between a motorcycle and ambulance on the Mehran highway. A child was injured as well. Robbers looted a house in Karachi’s Azizabad in broad daylight and in the presence of a policeman. The cop chased the thieves but they were able to escape. SAMAA TV has acquired a CCTV footage of the robbery. A terrorism bid has been foiled in Peshawar. During a raid, security forces eliminated four terrorists. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been recovered. Saudi Arabia has announced it would hold a “very limited” Hajj this year owing to the coronavirus pandemic, with pilgrims already in the kingdom allowed to take part. The Kingdom has informed Pakistan about it as well. Pakistan’s Religious A...