Skip to main content

PPP slams NAB for asking SC to expunge remarks against Musharraf

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) has slammed the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) for asking the Supreme Court to expunge remarks against former military ruler retired Gen Pervez Musharraf from its judgement in the Hudaibya Paper Mills case.

Former Senate chairman and PPP leader Mian Raza Rabbani on Tuesday said: “It is a matter of great concern and bewilderment that NAB asked the Supreme Court of Pakistan to expunge observations from its Jan 5 judgement concerning Gen Musharraf. This action of NAB speaks volumes about its mindset and is condemned.”

In a statement, he said observations made in the sixth paragraph of the judgement were a narration of historical facts in terms of actions taken by Gen Musharraf in Oct 1999.

“This mindset of NAB… reflects on its ability to pursue across-the-board accountability; perhaps such a mindset is in the way of investigation not proceeding in matters in which retired officers of the armed forces are involved,” the senator remarked.

On Jan 5, a three-judge apex court bench — comprising Justice Mushir Alam, Justice Qazi Faez Isa and Justice Mazhar Alam Khan Miankhel — had rejected NAB’s appeal against the 2014 Lahore High Court order quashing the Hudaibya Paper Mills reference.

In its review petition, NAB had requested the court to expunge paragraphs 6, 23, 27 and 32 from the Hudaibya judgement by arguing that they seemed to be superfluous and irrelevant.

In paragraph 6 of the judgement, the apex court had recalled how Gen Musharraf ousted the democratically elected government on Oct 12, 1999, as the then army chief and proclaimed emergency on Oct 14, putting the Constitution in abeyance.

Just a month after assuming power, Gen Musharraf had enacted the National Accountability Ordinance 1999 and appointed a serving general, Gen Syed Muhammad Amjad, to head NAB, the judgement had stated.

The Supreme Court, while rejecting the NAB’s plea for review on Monday, wondered why the anti-graft watchdog was seeking to expunge observations from its Jan 5, 2018, judgement that concerned former president Gen Musharraf.

“Why do you want to get these paragraphs expunged? Is there anything wrong with mentioning Gen Musharraf for ousting a democratically elected government and was it not a fact that trial against former prime minister Nawaz Sharif took place at the Attock Fort,” Justice Isa had said.

“No ground for review is made out,” observed Justice Alam before dismissing the review petition.

Published in Dawn, October 31st, 2018



from The Dawn News - Home https://ift.tt/2zeVXHU
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sialkot police bust gang of robbers, seize over Rs20m looted cash

SIALKOT: Police on Tuesday claimed to have busted an infamous gang of robbers and seized Rs20.3 million looted cash from their possession, ARY News reported. A spokesperson for the police confirmed the arrests saying the eight-member gang had looted a pharmaceutical company’s truck full of medicine. He said the looted cash to the tune of Rs20.3 million was also recovered from their possession. The police said the recovered cash and truck have been handed over to their owner. Read More: Youngster battles for life as Punjab police ‘mistakenly’ opens fire on him Earlier, on June 20, Karachi police had apprehended six robbers allegedly involved in a bank robbery of Rs10.5 million last month. The robbers had produced Rs9 million from the bank robbery in front of the police after being taken under arrest. The police also recovered the weapons used by the criminals in the bank robbery. The gang was stated to have a previous record of robbing various places in the city, the police said. ...

Peshawar security forces kill four suspected terrorists

The Peshawar Counter-Terrorism Department personnel gunned down four suspected terrorists after raiding their hideout on the Kohat Road Monday. According to the security forces, the suspects were plotting an attack. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been seized too. On Monday evening, a special CTD team raided the hideout after surrounding it and exchanged fire with them. No CTD personnel was injured in the operation. from SAMAA https://ift.tt/2V8MRbn

Headlines 9am: Karachi to face power outages, coronavirus cases rise

Here are the headlines from SAMAA TV’s 9am bulletin. Pakistan has begun reporting fewer coronavirus infections in the last couple of days. In the last 24 hours, 3,964 cases were reported with 105 deaths. Around 73,000 recoveries have been confirmed so far. Three people were killed in a collision between a motorcycle and ambulance on the Mehran highway. A child was injured as well. Robbers looted a house in Karachi’s Azizabad in broad daylight and in the presence of a policeman. The cop chased the thieves but they were able to escape. SAMAA TV has acquired a CCTV footage of the robbery. A terrorism bid has been foiled in Peshawar. During a raid, security forces eliminated four terrorists. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been recovered. Saudi Arabia has announced it would hold a “very limited” Hajj this year owing to the coronavirus pandemic, with pilgrims already in the kingdom allowed to take part. The Kingdom has informed Pakistan about it as well. Pakistan’s Religious A...