Skip to main content

Insecurity to remain major concern even after Afghan peace deal: US agency

WASHINGTON: Afghanistan will continue to grapple with multiple extremist organisations even if the United States and Taliban reach a peace settlement, warns John Spoko, the US Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR).

SIGAR has a mandate from the US Congress to monitor the 18-year-old war in Afghanistan and submit a quarterly report to the lawmakers on Washington’s efforts to restore peace and stability to the war-torn country.

SIGAR’s “High-Risk List” for 2019 was highlighted by the US media this weekend as US and Taliban representatives resumed their talks in Doha, Qatar.

“With or without a peace settlement, Afghanistan will likely continue to grapple with multiple violent-extremist organisations who threaten Afghanistan and the international community,” the SIGAR report warns.

The report refers to the “capability challenges” of the official Afghan forces while referring to the recent increase in Taliban attacks on their positions.

“The Afghan National Defence and Security Forces (ANDSF) are constrained by capability challenges and depend on donor support of $4 billion to $5 billion per year to fund their sustainment, equipment, infrastructure, and training costs,” the report notes.

SIGAR points out that Nato’s military mission in Afghanistan — known as the Operation Resolute Support (RS) — also acknowledges that the “control of Afghanistan’s districts, population, and territory has become more contested over the last two years, resulting in a stalemated battlefield environment”.

The report highlights eight high-risk areas: Widespread insecurity, underdeveloped civil policing, endemic corruption, sluggish economic growth, illicit narcotics trade, threats to women’s rights, reintegration of ex-combatants and restricted oversight. The report notes that since fiscal year 2002, Washington has appropriated $132.3bn for Afghanistan reconstruction, of which $83.1bn — or 63 per cent — has gone toward building and sustaining a more effective and sustainable security force.

“The most enduring threat to the Afghan reconstruction effort, and to the US taxpayer’s investment in that effort, has been an ongoing and resilient insurgency and the presence in Afghanistan of terrorist groups such as Islamic State-Khorasan (IS-K),” the report adds.

It warns that even if the Doha talks lead to an agreement, “Afghanistan will continue to need a security force to protect the Afghan population from internal and external threats, provide a policing function to respond to criminal activity, and control its borders.”

“Any political settlement entails the risk that not all subordinate groups will abide by an agreement made by their organisation’s leadership,” SIGAR warns. “Therefore, insecurity could potentially persist in the form of another insurgency, criminal gangs, or networks involved in other nefarious activities.”

Published in Dawn, July 1st, 2019



from The Dawn News - Home https://ift.tt/2J03zEc
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sialkot police bust gang of robbers, seize over Rs20m looted cash

SIALKOT: Police on Tuesday claimed to have busted an infamous gang of robbers and seized Rs20.3 million looted cash from their possession, ARY News reported. A spokesperson for the police confirmed the arrests saying the eight-member gang had looted a pharmaceutical company’s truck full of medicine. He said the looted cash to the tune of Rs20.3 million was also recovered from their possession. The police said the recovered cash and truck have been handed over to their owner. Read More: Youngster battles for life as Punjab police ‘mistakenly’ opens fire on him Earlier, on June 20, Karachi police had apprehended six robbers allegedly involved in a bank robbery of Rs10.5 million last month. The robbers had produced Rs9 million from the bank robbery in front of the police after being taken under arrest. The police also recovered the weapons used by the criminals in the bank robbery. The gang was stated to have a previous record of robbing various places in the city, the police said. ...

Peshawar security forces kill four suspected terrorists

The Peshawar Counter-Terrorism Department personnel gunned down four suspected terrorists after raiding their hideout on the Kohat Road Monday. According to the security forces, the suspects were plotting an attack. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been seized too. On Monday evening, a special CTD team raided the hideout after surrounding it and exchanged fire with them. No CTD personnel was injured in the operation. from SAMAA https://ift.tt/2V8MRbn

Headlines 9am: Karachi to face power outages, coronavirus cases rise

Here are the headlines from SAMAA TV’s 9am bulletin. Pakistan has begun reporting fewer coronavirus infections in the last couple of days. In the last 24 hours, 3,964 cases were reported with 105 deaths. Around 73,000 recoveries have been confirmed so far. Three people were killed in a collision between a motorcycle and ambulance on the Mehran highway. A child was injured as well. Robbers looted a house in Karachi’s Azizabad in broad daylight and in the presence of a policeman. The cop chased the thieves but they were able to escape. SAMAA TV has acquired a CCTV footage of the robbery. A terrorism bid has been foiled in Peshawar. During a raid, security forces eliminated four terrorists. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been recovered. Saudi Arabia has announced it would hold a “very limited” Hajj this year owing to the coronavirus pandemic, with pilgrims already in the kingdom allowed to take part. The Kingdom has informed Pakistan about it as well. Pakistan’s Religious A...