Skip to main content

Bilawal vows to launch protests over ‘anti-people budget’

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) chairman Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari has announced that his party would take to the streets if the ‘anti-people’ budget is passed.

He was speaking to reporters outside the Parliament House on Tuesday.

The PPP chairman said that a rally would be organised in Gujjar Khan — the hometown of former prime minister Raja Pervez Ashraf — to send out a message that the budget was unacceptable to the people of Pakistan.

Answering a question about a multi-party conference convened by Jamiat Ulema-i Islam-Fazl (JUI-F), he said that the conference would be a fresh opportunity for the opposition to put forward a new agenda post-one year of ‘tabdeeli sarkar’ in power.

Party leaders call out minister for ‘outlandish’ remarks on 18th Amendment

He said that the conference would discuss all issues pertaining to the prevailing economic situation as well as attacks on democratic and human rights. He said the PPP had given opportunity to the rulers to give a people friendly budget, but a glance on the finance bill showed that it was an anti-people budget with record taxes. The PPP chairman lamented that not even a single house out of the total five million promised by the prime minister had been constructed and the same was the case with the promise of giving 10 million jobs.

Mr Bhutto-Zardari was of the view that it was not possible for a single individual to find a solution to the problems facing the masses and everyone must work together. “We will need to meet on a regular basis and each issue cannot be discussed in a day,” he said.

Replying to another question, Mr Bhutto-Zardari said that there was complete discipline in the ranks of the PPP and if a decision on ousting Senate chairman Sadiq Sanjrani was taken at the multi-party conference, all members would toe the party policy. He hoped that the same would be the case with the PML-N. “If the conference decides Sanjrani should continue, he will hold office and if it decides to de-seat him, he will have to go,” he said.

Responding to a question about minister for inter-provincial coordination Dr Fehmida Mirza’s criticism of the 18th amendment, the PPP chairman said that he respected Dr Mirza and was unaware if she had a role in the enactment of the 18th amendment or not. He, however, said that criticism of the 18th amendment was injustice with Sindh, adding that the IPC ministry should play its role to avert the threats to provincial autonomy.

He regretted that provinces were being deprived of rights and resources. He said the federation was denying Sindh’s share in water. The water minister had conceded on the floor of the house that Sindh was not being given its water and it was being stolen, said Mr Bhutto Zardari, lamenting that the IPC ministry did not take any step to resolve the issue.

He urged members from the GDA, MQM and independents from Sindh to not vote in favour of the anti-Sindh budget.

Meanwhile, former Senate chairman Mian Raza Rabbani has also expressed dismay over the claims made by IPC Minister Fehmida Mirza.

“It is outlandish for the minister and the daughter of the information minister of dictator Ziaul Haq, to claim credit for the 18th amendment on the one hand and to also criticise it at the same time,” he said in a statement.

It was the PPP — the party Ms Mirza then belonged to — which took the decision to purge the Constitution of the anti-democratic articles introduced by a military dictator, he said. “It was the PPP which had nominated her as Speaker of National Assembly and it was President Asif Ali Zardari who addressed a formal letter to the Speaker under the Constitution to form a parliamentary committee and initiate the process of constitutional amendment,” said Mr Rabbani.

To claim credit for the amendment, he said, the minister had vainly tried to distort history and that was highly disappointing.

Mian Rabbani said that the IPC minister should have set up the secretariat of the Council of Common Interest (CII) to institutionalise its working for the rights of the provinces. “She should have raised her voice against depriving Sindh of its rights over oil and gas produced in the provinces guaranteed to it under the 18th Amendment,” he added.

“Whether someone is happy or not, the 18th Amendment is the collective voice and will of the people of Pakistan and cannot be undone,” said Mr Rabbani.

Published in Dawn, June 26th, 2019



from The Dawn News - Home https://ift.tt/2X7PwFo
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sialkot police bust gang of robbers, seize over Rs20m looted cash

SIALKOT: Police on Tuesday claimed to have busted an infamous gang of robbers and seized Rs20.3 million looted cash from their possession, ARY News reported. A spokesperson for the police confirmed the arrests saying the eight-member gang had looted a pharmaceutical company’s truck full of medicine. He said the looted cash to the tune of Rs20.3 million was also recovered from their possession. The police said the recovered cash and truck have been handed over to their owner. Read More: Youngster battles for life as Punjab police ‘mistakenly’ opens fire on him Earlier, on June 20, Karachi police had apprehended six robbers allegedly involved in a bank robbery of Rs10.5 million last month. The robbers had produced Rs9 million from the bank robbery in front of the police after being taken under arrest. The police also recovered the weapons used by the criminals in the bank robbery. The gang was stated to have a previous record of robbing various places in the city, the police said. ...

Peshawar security forces kill four suspected terrorists

The Peshawar Counter-Terrorism Department personnel gunned down four suspected terrorists after raiding their hideout on the Kohat Road Monday. According to the security forces, the suspects were plotting an attack. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been seized too. On Monday evening, a special CTD team raided the hideout after surrounding it and exchanged fire with them. No CTD personnel was injured in the operation. from SAMAA https://ift.tt/2V8MRbn

Headlines 9am: Karachi to face power outages, coronavirus cases rise

Here are the headlines from SAMAA TV’s 9am bulletin. Pakistan has begun reporting fewer coronavirus infections in the last couple of days. In the last 24 hours, 3,964 cases were reported with 105 deaths. Around 73,000 recoveries have been confirmed so far. Three people were killed in a collision between a motorcycle and ambulance on the Mehran highway. A child was injured as well. Robbers looted a house in Karachi’s Azizabad in broad daylight and in the presence of a policeman. The cop chased the thieves but they were able to escape. SAMAA TV has acquired a CCTV footage of the robbery. A terrorism bid has been foiled in Peshawar. During a raid, security forces eliminated four terrorists. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been recovered. Saudi Arabia has announced it would hold a “very limited” Hajj this year owing to the coronavirus pandemic, with pilgrims already in the kingdom allowed to take part. The Kingdom has informed Pakistan about it as well. Pakistan’s Religious A...