Skip to main content

Cabinet stops short of okaying bill for journalists protection

ISLAMABAD : The federal cabinet on Tuesday stopped short of giving its formal approval to a comprehensive draft bill prepared by the human rights ministry which aims to “promote and effectively ensure the independence, impartiality, safety and freedom of expression of journalists and media professionals”.

Instead, the cabinet gave its approval “in principle” to club it with an earlier bill prepared by the information ministry and decided to send them to the law ministry for necessary adjustments to turn them into a single bill.

Senior editors and media experts, who have seen the draft bill prepared by the human rights ministry, say it is one of the most detailed pieces of legislation to ensure protection and safety of journalists.

However, the clubbing of the two draft bills may lead to a delay in their becoming a law as after it is finalised by the law ministry, the final draft will be forwarded to the Cabinet Committee on Legislative Cases and then to the cabinet for formal approval.

Approves its clubbing with an earlier bill drafted by information ministry

After it is formally approved by the cabinet, the draft will be forwarded to parliament and, if passed, will become a law following approval by the president.

Talking to Dawn, Special Assistant to the Prime Minister on Information Dr Firdous Ashiq Awan acknowledged that it would still take time to provide much-needed security to journalists against harassment, kidnapping, intimidation and torture.

“But the process is in the final stage and we will try to speed it up,” she said, adding that the first meeting of media workers and journalists with the law minister will be arranged next week.

The draft bill prepared by the information ministry is mainly based on feedback from the stakeholders and the ministries of interior, finance and health, whereas the draft formulated by the human rights ministry contains excerpts from international laws and various conventions signed by Pakistan in this regard.

The bills, which have been prepared against the backdrop of a series of abductions, torture and murder of dozens of journalists over the last two decades, are an attempt to put an end to the culture of impunity in crimes against journalists in the country.

Journalists’ unions say that with about 70 journalists having been killed in the line of duty during that period, only three cases have so far been solved and the remaining culprits are still at large.

Coupled with the murders are almost daily incidents of threats and intimidation to prevent journalists from performing their professional responsibility of disseminating information to public.

Sharing some details of the draft of the bill prepared by the information ministry, sources in the government told Dawn that at the very outset, the bill says: “The government shall ensure that every journalist and media professional’s right to life and security of person, as contained in Article 9 of the Constitution, is safeguarded, and that no such individual is subjected to ill-treatment.”

The bill prepared by the human rights ministry assures that the government will implement best practices provided in the United Nations Plan of Action on Safety of Journalists and the Issue of Impunity.

Both the bills propose the setting up of an independent commission for protection of journalists and media professionals. The commission will be headed either by a retired Supreme Court judge or someone who has demonstrable knowledge of, or practical experience in, matters relating to law, justice and human rights. The proposed commission will comprise representatives of journalists’ unions and press clubs and a representative of the human rights ministry as an ex-officio member.

At the same time while ensuring actions against acts that violate the right to life and security of any journalist, the proposed law states: “In order to maintain the independence, impartiality and freedom of journalists and media professionals, the government shall take steps to ensure that existing or future counter-terrorism or national security laws are not utilised arbitrarily to hinder the work and safety of journalists and media professionals, including through arbitrary arrest or detention, or the threat thereof.”

The proposed law will ensure protection against “forced or involuntary disappearances, kidnapping, abduction or other methods of coercion”, and also provide guarantees for journalists to carry out their professional work in conflict-ridden areas in the country without any threat, intimidation, harassment or fear of persecution or being attacked.

The proposed law recalls that the journalist fraternity has been demanding for the last many years right to privacy and non-disclosure of sources; independence in the performance of duties; protection from abusive, violent and intolerant behaviour; and protection against harassment.

To end the culture of impunity in crimes against journalists, the proposed law says: “No threatening, coercive, abusive or violent act, committed against journalists, shall be exempt from immediate and effective investigation and prosecution.”

The ministries of human rights and information have suggested setting up of a journalists’ welfare scheme and provision of effective training to journalists to work and operate in hostile environment, including health and safety protocols, to ensure their safety and security.

Published in Dawn, February 26th, 2020



from The Dawn News - Home https://ift.tt/2HWfb9U
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sialkot police bust gang of robbers, seize over Rs20m looted cash

SIALKOT: Police on Tuesday claimed to have busted an infamous gang of robbers and seized Rs20.3 million looted cash from their possession, ARY News reported. A spokesperson for the police confirmed the arrests saying the eight-member gang had looted a pharmaceutical company’s truck full of medicine. He said the looted cash to the tune of Rs20.3 million was also recovered from their possession. The police said the recovered cash and truck have been handed over to their owner. Read More: Youngster battles for life as Punjab police ‘mistakenly’ opens fire on him Earlier, on June 20, Karachi police had apprehended six robbers allegedly involved in a bank robbery of Rs10.5 million last month. The robbers had produced Rs9 million from the bank robbery in front of the police after being taken under arrest. The police also recovered the weapons used by the criminals in the bank robbery. The gang was stated to have a previous record of robbing various places in the city, the police said. ...

Peshawar security forces kill four suspected terrorists

The Peshawar Counter-Terrorism Department personnel gunned down four suspected terrorists after raiding their hideout on the Kohat Road Monday. According to the security forces, the suspects were plotting an attack. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been seized too. On Monday evening, a special CTD team raided the hideout after surrounding it and exchanged fire with them. No CTD personnel was injured in the operation. from SAMAA https://ift.tt/2V8MRbn

Headlines 9am: Karachi to face power outages, coronavirus cases rise

Here are the headlines from SAMAA TV’s 9am bulletin. Pakistan has begun reporting fewer coronavirus infections in the last couple of days. In the last 24 hours, 3,964 cases were reported with 105 deaths. Around 73,000 recoveries have been confirmed so far. Three people were killed in a collision between a motorcycle and ambulance on the Mehran highway. A child was injured as well. Robbers looted a house in Karachi’s Azizabad in broad daylight and in the presence of a policeman. The cop chased the thieves but they were able to escape. SAMAA TV has acquired a CCTV footage of the robbery. A terrorism bid has been foiled in Peshawar. During a raid, security forces eliminated four terrorists. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been recovered. Saudi Arabia has announced it would hold a “very limited” Hajj this year owing to the coronavirus pandemic, with pilgrims already in the kingdom allowed to take part. The Kingdom has informed Pakistan about it as well. Pakistan’s Religious A...