Skip to main content

Government seeks FAO help to fight locust threat in Punjab

ISLAMABAD: The government has sought technical advice and guidance from the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations on international best practices and use of pesticides with safety standards, as Punjab is facing a locust attack.

FAO representative in Pakistan Mina Dowlatchahi held a meeting with Minister for National Food Security and Research Makhdoom Khusro Bakhtiar here on Tuesday and discussed with him the current locust situation in Pakistan.

It was a follow-up meeting on the first national locust coordination meeting held last Friday.

The discussion focused on better understanding of the unusual behaviour of locust in Punjab, options for chemical and biological control measures and locust surveillance system being introduced by FAO.

FAO director general Qu Dongyu concluded his three-day official visit to Pakistan last week. During his stay in Pakistan, he pledged to help Pakistan fight its desert locust emergency after seeing first-hand the unusual impact of the locust attack in Punjab.

The Ministry of National Food Security and Research and FAO signed last week a $500,000 technical cooperation programme to make FAO’s technical expertise available to national experts in order to strengthen their capacities to combat the desert locust infestation and improve locust management.

FAO is supporting the ministry to ensure availability of locust surveillance data in real-time. The data is being made available as part of the regular food security nutrition and information system for early warning and early action. Locust monitoring and timely control operations are vital to ensure food security and protect agriculture.

On the concern express­ed by Mr Bakhtiar over the use of chemical pesticides, FAO representative said that FAO had technical experts in its headquarters in Rome who could share their expertise with the government on the issue.

The minister asked for recommended chemical and bio-pesticides with minimal impact on environment.

Mr Bakhtiar emphasised on the urgent supply of e-locust devices for effective surveillance of locust in the affected areas.

The FAO representative affirm­ed to provide locust devices which required GPS facility in the affected areas.

“The supply of correct pesticides is extremely important and we do not want to end up with the procurement of wrong pesticides,” Mr Bakhtiar added.

Mina Dowlatchahi inform­ed the minister that FAO as a neutral coordinator was planning to organise a coordination meeting of locust-affected countries in the region, including Pakistan, India, Iran and Afghanistan, early next month in Abu Dhabi.

The minister appreciated the efforts of FAO and called for developing a common work plan for controlling locust without any time lag.

Meanwhile, a team of locust experts from China has arrived in Pakistan to assess the situation and needs of Pakistan.

Chinese Ambassador Yao Jing held a meeting with Chairman of Pakistan Agricultural Research Council (PARC) Dr Muhammad Azeem Khan and said that the locust team was currently visiting Karachi and visiting affected areas of Sindh.

Dr Azeem Khan discussed the possible control measures for locust in the short term as well as long term.

Published in Dawn, February 26th, 2020



from The Dawn News - Home https://ift.tt/2w5ogKZ
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sialkot police bust gang of robbers, seize over Rs20m looted cash

SIALKOT: Police on Tuesday claimed to have busted an infamous gang of robbers and seized Rs20.3 million looted cash from their possession, ARY News reported. A spokesperson for the police confirmed the arrests saying the eight-member gang had looted a pharmaceutical company’s truck full of medicine. He said the looted cash to the tune of Rs20.3 million was also recovered from their possession. The police said the recovered cash and truck have been handed over to their owner. Read More: Youngster battles for life as Punjab police ‘mistakenly’ opens fire on him Earlier, on June 20, Karachi police had apprehended six robbers allegedly involved in a bank robbery of Rs10.5 million last month. The robbers had produced Rs9 million from the bank robbery in front of the police after being taken under arrest. The police also recovered the weapons used by the criminals in the bank robbery. The gang was stated to have a previous record of robbing various places in the city, the police said. ...

Peshawar security forces kill four suspected terrorists

The Peshawar Counter-Terrorism Department personnel gunned down four suspected terrorists after raiding their hideout on the Kohat Road Monday. According to the security forces, the suspects were plotting an attack. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been seized too. On Monday evening, a special CTD team raided the hideout after surrounding it and exchanged fire with them. No CTD personnel was injured in the operation. from SAMAA https://ift.tt/2V8MRbn

Headlines 9am: Karachi to face power outages, coronavirus cases rise

Here are the headlines from SAMAA TV’s 9am bulletin. Pakistan has begun reporting fewer coronavirus infections in the last couple of days. In the last 24 hours, 3,964 cases were reported with 105 deaths. Around 73,000 recoveries have been confirmed so far. Three people were killed in a collision between a motorcycle and ambulance on the Mehran highway. A child was injured as well. Robbers looted a house in Karachi’s Azizabad in broad daylight and in the presence of a policeman. The cop chased the thieves but they were able to escape. SAMAA TV has acquired a CCTV footage of the robbery. A terrorism bid has been foiled in Peshawar. During a raid, security forces eliminated four terrorists. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been recovered. Saudi Arabia has announced it would hold a “very limited” Hajj this year owing to the coronavirus pandemic, with pilgrims already in the kingdom allowed to take part. The Kingdom has informed Pakistan about it as well. Pakistan’s Religious A...