Skip to main content

No headway in Keamari gas leak incident as probe body meets

KARACHI: A committee tasked with conducting a thorough inquiry into the recent suspected Keamari gas leakage incident was informed on Tuesday that the situation had become normal in the congested neighbourhood as hospitals were not receiving any patients from the area.

“The situation is normal in the area since last week when patients of the gas leak were brought to hospitals,” an official at the Karachi commissioner’s office said.

Commissioner Iftikhar Shallwani chaired a meeting of the probe body at his office where representatives of agencies concerned updated him about the situation.

Officials said the committee had formally started investigations to find out the causes and reasons of the incident.

Tuesday’s meeting was attended by director general of the Sindh Environmental Protection Agency Naeem Ahmed Mughal, Col Mohammad Nasir of Corps V, SP-investigation Mukhtiar Khaskheli, Dr Shakil Ahmed of the HEJ Research Institute of Chemistry, Karachi University, assistant commissioner-harbour Rahim Qureshi, senior officials of the Karachi Port Trust, including traffic manager, operation manager, and marine pollution control department’s representative.

Commissioner is informed that situation is normal in the affected area

The officials said the representatives of the organisations and departments concerned briefed the commissioner about the incident in detail that included the details coming to the fore during the preliminary investigation.

Rashid Usmani, the director of the Enviro-Maritime Capacity Building Institute and a visiting professor of Pakistan Marine Academy, also attended the meeting and gave his opinion and expert advice.

The officials of KPT, police and district administration told the meeting that the situation was “now normal as no case of any person falling ill because of the allergic gases in the air or such related complaints were brought into their knowledge”.

Officials in the commissioner’s office said the meeting discussed all aspects involving the reasons relating to the incident threadbare and decided to carry out investigations based on facts and to follow the scientific methods with the support of experts and individuals and organisations including the HEJ, KPT, Sepa, police and city administration, etc.

They said all aspects of the incident had been discussed.

The inquiry would establish the exact cause of the incident in which, according to the Sindh health ministry, 14 people died and more than 250 people fell ill.

Health Minister Azra Pechuho had earlier cited a report of the Karachi University’s International Centre for Chemical and Biological Sciences (ICCBS) suggesting that “the exposure to soya bean dust” might be the cause of breathing difficulties faced by residents of Keamari.

ICCBS officials said the lab had examined blood and urine samples of people “exposed to toxic aerosols” as well as soya bean dust samples.

“Currently we are extensively engaged in deciphering the cause of this toxic exposure. While we are working on this complex bio-analytical problem, we think this may be due to overexposure to soya bean dust,” a letter by the KU’s facility earlier sent to the commissioner had said.

The participants at the meeting at the commissioner’s office agreed to investigate the facts in the first phase to ascertain the root cause and determine the reasons for the incident that occurred on Feb 16 and continued to affect people for the next two days.

Published in Dawn, February 26th, 2020



from The Dawn News - Home https://ift.tt/2PryTyx
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sialkot police bust gang of robbers, seize over Rs20m looted cash

SIALKOT: Police on Tuesday claimed to have busted an infamous gang of robbers and seized Rs20.3 million looted cash from their possession, ARY News reported. A spokesperson for the police confirmed the arrests saying the eight-member gang had looted a pharmaceutical company’s truck full of medicine. He said the looted cash to the tune of Rs20.3 million was also recovered from their possession. The police said the recovered cash and truck have been handed over to their owner. Read More: Youngster battles for life as Punjab police ‘mistakenly’ opens fire on him Earlier, on June 20, Karachi police had apprehended six robbers allegedly involved in a bank robbery of Rs10.5 million last month. The robbers had produced Rs9 million from the bank robbery in front of the police after being taken under arrest. The police also recovered the weapons used by the criminals in the bank robbery. The gang was stated to have a previous record of robbing various places in the city, the police said. ...

Peshawar security forces kill four suspected terrorists

The Peshawar Counter-Terrorism Department personnel gunned down four suspected terrorists after raiding their hideout on the Kohat Road Monday. According to the security forces, the suspects were plotting an attack. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been seized too. On Monday evening, a special CTD team raided the hideout after surrounding it and exchanged fire with them. No CTD personnel was injured in the operation. from SAMAA https://ift.tt/2V8MRbn

Headlines 9am: Karachi to face power outages, coronavirus cases rise

Here are the headlines from SAMAA TV’s 9am bulletin. Pakistan has begun reporting fewer coronavirus infections in the last couple of days. In the last 24 hours, 3,964 cases were reported with 105 deaths. Around 73,000 recoveries have been confirmed so far. Three people were killed in a collision between a motorcycle and ambulance on the Mehran highway. A child was injured as well. Robbers looted a house in Karachi’s Azizabad in broad daylight and in the presence of a policeman. The cop chased the thieves but they were able to escape. SAMAA TV has acquired a CCTV footage of the robbery. A terrorism bid has been foiled in Peshawar. During a raid, security forces eliminated four terrorists. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been recovered. Saudi Arabia has announced it would hold a “very limited” Hajj this year owing to the coronavirus pandemic, with pilgrims already in the kingdom allowed to take part. The Kingdom has informed Pakistan about it as well. Pakistan’s Religious A...