Skip to main content

UK police probe hundreds of premature hospital deaths

UK premature hospital deaths

LONDON: British police opened an investigation on Tuesday into a hospital where hundreds of patients are believed to have died prematurely after being given powerful painkillers.

Police are examining the care provided to patients who died at Gosport War Memorial Hospital in southern England between 1987 and 2001, police said in a statement.

A review last year found that more than 450 people had their lives shortened at the hospital while another 200 were “probably” also given strong opioids.

“This is a highly complex and emotive case that some family members have been living with for more than 30 years,” said Nick Downing, the police officer who has been reviewing the findings of the review.

UK premature hospital deaths

“I hope the news that we will now be carrying out a full investigation is of some comfort to them,” he said.

Maggie Cheetham told the BBC she wanted “closure” for her aunt Ethel Thurston who died in 1999 aged 78 after being admitted to the hospital following a fall.

“All she needed was some tender loving care. She did not deserve to die,” Cheetham was quoted as saying.

“I want to know why she was given the cocktail of drugs, and I want someone held to account for killing her.”

Last year’s review found there was an “institutionalised regime” at the hospital of prescribing and administering amounts of opiate medication that were not clinically justified.

The post UK police probe hundreds of premature hospital deaths appeared first on ARYNEWS.



from ARYNEWS http://bit.ly/2ZIhu88

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sialkot police bust gang of robbers, seize over Rs20m looted cash

SIALKOT: Police on Tuesday claimed to have busted an infamous gang of robbers and seized Rs20.3 million looted cash from their possession, ARY News reported. A spokesperson for the police confirmed the arrests saying the eight-member gang had looted a pharmaceutical company’s truck full of medicine. He said the looted cash to the tune of Rs20.3 million was also recovered from their possession. The police said the recovered cash and truck have been handed over to their owner. Read More: Youngster battles for life as Punjab police ‘mistakenly’ opens fire on him Earlier, on June 20, Karachi police had apprehended six robbers allegedly involved in a bank robbery of Rs10.5 million last month. The robbers had produced Rs9 million from the bank robbery in front of the police after being taken under arrest. The police also recovered the weapons used by the criminals in the bank robbery. The gang was stated to have a previous record of robbing various places in the city, the police said. ...

Peshawar security forces kill four suspected terrorists

The Peshawar Counter-Terrorism Department personnel gunned down four suspected terrorists after raiding their hideout on the Kohat Road Monday. According to the security forces, the suspects were plotting an attack. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been seized too. On Monday evening, a special CTD team raided the hideout after surrounding it and exchanged fire with them. No CTD personnel was injured in the operation. from SAMAA https://ift.tt/2V8MRbn

Headlines 9am: Karachi to face power outages, coronavirus cases rise

Here are the headlines from SAMAA TV’s 9am bulletin. Pakistan has begun reporting fewer coronavirus infections in the last couple of days. In the last 24 hours, 3,964 cases were reported with 105 deaths. Around 73,000 recoveries have been confirmed so far. Three people were killed in a collision between a motorcycle and ambulance on the Mehran highway. A child was injured as well. Robbers looted a house in Karachi’s Azizabad in broad daylight and in the presence of a policeman. The cop chased the thieves but they were able to escape. SAMAA TV has acquired a CCTV footage of the robbery. A terrorism bid has been foiled in Peshawar. During a raid, security forces eliminated four terrorists. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been recovered. Saudi Arabia has announced it would hold a “very limited” Hajj this year owing to the coronavirus pandemic, with pilgrims already in the kingdom allowed to take part. The Kingdom has informed Pakistan about it as well. Pakistan’s Religious A...