Skip to main content

Bar on media to cover PM visit criticised

PESHAWAR: Barring official media from covering Prime Minister Imran Khan’s maiden visit to Peshawar and engagements on Friday shows the ruling Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf’s mistrust in media.

The official media wings of the federal government, including Associated Press of Pakistan, Press Information Department and Pakistan Television, were not invited to cover engagements of Imran Khan.

Also, the provincial information department and media staff of the Chief Minister’s Secretariat were not allowed for coverage.

Officials of the provincial information department and PID referred the matter to the PTI’s media team.

“There is no need for deployment of local staff to cover the prime minister’s visit because media team has come from Islamabad,” said an official of a state-run media outlet.

“And it happened for the first time to bar official media from the coverage of the premier’s visit to the provincial capital,” he said requesting anonymity.

It came as a surprise for local media, who were invited to openly cover each and every activity of the PTI chairman before his election as PM.

The private TV channels and newspapers have already been sidelined. Media was not invited for coverage of important events like oath-taking ceremonies of the governor and the cabinet.

Former APP managing director and senior journalist Mohammad Riaz said disallowing media to report official functions indicated the PTI’s policy of controlling media.

“This is first step towards controlling media in Pakistan,” he said, adding that many elected leaders dubbed media as their enemy but the PTI silently ignored them, which was the first step to muzzle the press.

Imran Khan, soon after landing at the Bacha Khan International Airport, attended an official huddle at the Chief Minister’s House, which continued for around two hours.

Governor Shah Farman, Chief Minister Mahmood Khan, defence minister Pervez Khattak and cabinet members attended the ‘close-door’ meeting.

Currently, the provincial cabinet has no information minister.

At the end of the premier’s tour, there was no official statement about his meetings with the party and cabinet members that discussed vital issues.

It is learnt that post-merger situation in seven districts of the erstwhile Federally Administered Tribal Areas, reforms in the existing local government system and Sharia Nizam-i-Adal Regulation, 2009, in the former Provincially Administered Tribal Area (Pata) comprising seven districts.

After the departure of the prime minister, the PID and the provincial information department were unable to feed the media about decisions taken in the meetings.

The provincial government’s spokesman and MPA, Shaukat Ali Yousafzai, later released tickers to electronic media about those decisions.

Mr Yousafzai, a former journalist, told Dawn that teams of the official media had accompanied the prime minister from Islamabad and therefore, the local staff of APP and PID was not invited to cover the visit.

Published in Dawn, September 30th, 2018



from The Dawn News - Home https://ift.tt/2DIq6ou
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sialkot police bust gang of robbers, seize over Rs20m looted cash

SIALKOT: Police on Tuesday claimed to have busted an infamous gang of robbers and seized Rs20.3 million looted cash from their possession, ARY News reported. A spokesperson for the police confirmed the arrests saying the eight-member gang had looted a pharmaceutical company’s truck full of medicine. He said the looted cash to the tune of Rs20.3 million was also recovered from their possession. The police said the recovered cash and truck have been handed over to their owner. Read More: Youngster battles for life as Punjab police ‘mistakenly’ opens fire on him Earlier, on June 20, Karachi police had apprehended six robbers allegedly involved in a bank robbery of Rs10.5 million last month. The robbers had produced Rs9 million from the bank robbery in front of the police after being taken under arrest. The police also recovered the weapons used by the criminals in the bank robbery. The gang was stated to have a previous record of robbing various places in the city, the police said. ...

Peshawar security forces kill four suspected terrorists

The Peshawar Counter-Terrorism Department personnel gunned down four suspected terrorists after raiding their hideout on the Kohat Road Monday. According to the security forces, the suspects were plotting an attack. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been seized too. On Monday evening, a special CTD team raided the hideout after surrounding it and exchanged fire with them. No CTD personnel was injured in the operation. from SAMAA https://ift.tt/2V8MRbn

Headlines 9am: Karachi to face power outages, coronavirus cases rise

Here are the headlines from SAMAA TV’s 9am bulletin. Pakistan has begun reporting fewer coronavirus infections in the last couple of days. In the last 24 hours, 3,964 cases were reported with 105 deaths. Around 73,000 recoveries have been confirmed so far. Three people were killed in a collision between a motorcycle and ambulance on the Mehran highway. A child was injured as well. Robbers looted a house in Karachi’s Azizabad in broad daylight and in the presence of a policeman. The cop chased the thieves but they were able to escape. SAMAA TV has acquired a CCTV footage of the robbery. A terrorism bid has been foiled in Peshawar. During a raid, security forces eliminated four terrorists. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been recovered. Saudi Arabia has announced it would hold a “very limited” Hajj this year owing to the coronavirus pandemic, with pilgrims already in the kingdom allowed to take part. The Kingdom has informed Pakistan about it as well. Pakistan’s Religious A...