Skip to main content

PML-N may quit all committees if denied PAC chairmanship

ISLAMABAD: The main opposition Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) is “seriously considering” the option of taking an extreme step of withdrawing from all parliamentary committees, if the government does not offer chairmanship of the all-powerful Public Accounts Committee (PAC) of parliament to the opposition, Dawn has learnt.

Sources in the PML-N said the party leaders during recent meetings had discussed various options to record its protest over the government’s possible move to devoid the opposition of its right on the PAC chairmanship and even the option of withdrawing from all the committees also came under discussion.

“Yes, we can go to the extent of withdrawing from all the committees and this is being discussed within the party,” said a senior party member.

Shahbaz Sharif convenes parliamentary party’s meeting today

However, he said, they had not so far taken a final decision in this regard as they were still waiting for an official and formal reply from the ruling Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI).

The PML-N leader claimed that National Assembly Speaker Asad Qaiser, during a meeting with opposition members, had given them the assurance that the PAC chairmanship would be offered to them. However, he said, it seemed that the speaker was facing resistance from the hawkish group within the PTI which was opposed to the idea.

He said PML-N president Shahbaz Sharif had convened a meeting of the parliamentary group on Monday (today) to discuss the matter and finalise a strategy.

When contacted, PML-N spokesperson Marriyum Aurangzeb said they were still waiting for a response from the speaker.

She said that after finalising its strategy, the PML-N would discuss it with other opposition parties as well.

“We will come up with a common strategy once the speaker formally informs us about his decision,” she added.

Ms Aurangzeb alleged that the PTI government was “undermining the supremacy of parliament by not giving the NA speaker his right to decide” the matter.

“The government has no role to play in terms of the fact that who will chair which committee in parliament,” she said, adding that “the speaker needs to ensure and maintain the supremacy of the house of which he is a custodian”.

The PML-N has already nominated its president and Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly Shahbaz Sharif to head the PAC and Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) chairman Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari has

also urged the government to follow the parliamentary tradition and give the PAC chairmanship to the opposition.

Two camps within PTI

On the other hand, there are two camps within the ruling PTI — one in favour of offering the PAC chairmanship to the opposition and the other opposing it. After discussing the issue at a meeting on Saturday, the PTI leadership had decided to defer the final decision till Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi’s return to the country from the United States.

Besides the NA speaker, the sources said, Mr Qureshi also supported the idea of giving the PAC chairmanship to the opposition.

The speaker had last week met Prime Minister Imran Khan and informed the latter about his meetings with the opposition. The speaker, the sources said, was of the view that in order to run parliament smoothly, they should give the PAC chairmanship to the opposition as per the parliamentary tradition.

However, a group spearheaded by Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry is strongly opposed to the idea.

Published in Dawn, October 1st, 2018



from The Dawn News - Home https://ift.tt/2OvqhaZ
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sialkot police bust gang of robbers, seize over Rs20m looted cash

SIALKOT: Police on Tuesday claimed to have busted an infamous gang of robbers and seized Rs20.3 million looted cash from their possession, ARY News reported. A spokesperson for the police confirmed the arrests saying the eight-member gang had looted a pharmaceutical company’s truck full of medicine. He said the looted cash to the tune of Rs20.3 million was also recovered from their possession. The police said the recovered cash and truck have been handed over to their owner. Read More: Youngster battles for life as Punjab police ‘mistakenly’ opens fire on him Earlier, on June 20, Karachi police had apprehended six robbers allegedly involved in a bank robbery of Rs10.5 million last month. The robbers had produced Rs9 million from the bank robbery in front of the police after being taken under arrest. The police also recovered the weapons used by the criminals in the bank robbery. The gang was stated to have a previous record of robbing various places in the city, the police said. ...

Peshawar security forces kill four suspected terrorists

The Peshawar Counter-Terrorism Department personnel gunned down four suspected terrorists after raiding their hideout on the Kohat Road Monday. According to the security forces, the suspects were plotting an attack. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been seized too. On Monday evening, a special CTD team raided the hideout after surrounding it and exchanged fire with them. No CTD personnel was injured in the operation. from SAMAA https://ift.tt/2V8MRbn

Headlines 9am: Karachi to face power outages, coronavirus cases rise

Here are the headlines from SAMAA TV’s 9am bulletin. Pakistan has begun reporting fewer coronavirus infections in the last couple of days. In the last 24 hours, 3,964 cases were reported with 105 deaths. Around 73,000 recoveries have been confirmed so far. Three people were killed in a collision between a motorcycle and ambulance on the Mehran highway. A child was injured as well. Robbers looted a house in Karachi’s Azizabad in broad daylight and in the presence of a policeman. The cop chased the thieves but they were able to escape. SAMAA TV has acquired a CCTV footage of the robbery. A terrorism bid has been foiled in Peshawar. During a raid, security forces eliminated four terrorists. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been recovered. Saudi Arabia has announced it would hold a “very limited” Hajj this year owing to the coronavirus pandemic, with pilgrims already in the kingdom allowed to take part. The Kingdom has informed Pakistan about it as well. Pakistan’s Religious A...