Skip to main content

SC orders inquiry into provision of facilities at private varsities

Supreme Court private colleges

LAHORE: The Supreme Court on Sunday set up a committee to ascertain whether or not adequate facilities are being provided at private universities across the province.

A two-judge bench, headed by Chief Justice of Pakistan Saqib Nisar, constituted the committee comprising legal expert Zafar Iqbal and Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) director Waqar Abbasi to hold an inquiry into provision of facilities at private varsities, including the University of Lahore.

The CJP instructed the committee to ascertain availability of faculty among other facilities at private medical colleges and submit a report within a week.

The bench was hearing a suo motu case with regard to the working of the private educational institutions.

Yesterday, the apex court came down hard on various private universities, saying they have ruined the education system.

The top judge took notice of non-issuance of degrees to students of an affiliated college of the University of South Aisa.

The bench was informed that the varsity was barred from giving affiliation to colleges or opening sub-campuses for 10 years, but it gave affiliation to colleges. He said that notices were issued to the university, but it did not take any action in this regard.

USA Vice Chancellor Imran Masood said admissions were closed after 2016, which later began after completion of the restriction period.

The post SC orders inquiry into provision of facilities at private varsities appeared first on ARYNEWS.



from ARYNEWS https://ift.tt/2xM5UN2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sialkot police bust gang of robbers, seize over Rs20m looted cash

SIALKOT: Police on Tuesday claimed to have busted an infamous gang of robbers and seized Rs20.3 million looted cash from their possession, ARY News reported. A spokesperson for the police confirmed the arrests saying the eight-member gang had looted a pharmaceutical company’s truck full of medicine. He said the looted cash to the tune of Rs20.3 million was also recovered from their possession. The police said the recovered cash and truck have been handed over to their owner. Read More: Youngster battles for life as Punjab police ‘mistakenly’ opens fire on him Earlier, on June 20, Karachi police had apprehended six robbers allegedly involved in a bank robbery of Rs10.5 million last month. The robbers had produced Rs9 million from the bank robbery in front of the police after being taken under arrest. The police also recovered the weapons used by the criminals in the bank robbery. The gang was stated to have a previous record of robbing various places in the city, the police said. ...

Peshawar security forces kill four suspected terrorists

The Peshawar Counter-Terrorism Department personnel gunned down four suspected terrorists after raiding their hideout on the Kohat Road Monday. According to the security forces, the suspects were plotting an attack. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been seized too. On Monday evening, a special CTD team raided the hideout after surrounding it and exchanged fire with them. No CTD personnel was injured in the operation. from SAMAA https://ift.tt/2V8MRbn

Headlines 9am: Karachi to face power outages, coronavirus cases rise

Here are the headlines from SAMAA TV’s 9am bulletin. Pakistan has begun reporting fewer coronavirus infections in the last couple of days. In the last 24 hours, 3,964 cases were reported with 105 deaths. Around 73,000 recoveries have been confirmed so far. Three people were killed in a collision between a motorcycle and ambulance on the Mehran highway. A child was injured as well. Robbers looted a house in Karachi’s Azizabad in broad daylight and in the presence of a policeman. The cop chased the thieves but they were able to escape. SAMAA TV has acquired a CCTV footage of the robbery. A terrorism bid has been foiled in Peshawar. During a raid, security forces eliminated four terrorists. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been recovered. Saudi Arabia has announced it would hold a “very limited” Hajj this year owing to the coronavirus pandemic, with pilgrims already in the kingdom allowed to take part. The Kingdom has informed Pakistan about it as well. Pakistan’s Religious A...