Skip to main content

Court reserves verdict on plea for selling Ishaq Dar’s assets

Ishaq Dar

ISLAMABAD: An accountability court here on Monday reserved its verdict on a plea of the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) seeking its permission to auction the seized assets of former finance minister Ishaq Dar.

Judge Muhammad Bashir reserved the verdict after hearing arguments from the defence and prosecution sides and is likely to pronounce the verdict later today.

The NAB had moved the application before the ATC judge, requesting him to allow it to auction the PML-N leader’s assets over his inability to appear in court to face trial in a case filed against him for allegedly accumulating assets beyond his known sources of income.

A NAB prosecutor contended that the accused is obliged by law to contact within six months of the seizure of his assets. If no objection is raised by the accused within the given time, then the property is sold, he added.

He said Dar has not yet raised any objection to the assets having been seized.

Earlier this month, the British government turned down a request by Pakistan to deport Ishaq Dar who is said to be undergoing treatment in London.

The UK authorities said there is no extradition treaty between Islamabad and London for the exchange of  wanted criminals, therefore, the request of Pakistan to deport its former finance minister stands rejected.

The Supreme Court of Pakistan had directed the authorities concerned to continue to take measures for the repatriation of former finance minister Ishaq Dar.

Dar’s diplomatic as well as normal passports have already been cancelled and he doesn’t have any travel documents at present.

The post Court reserves verdict on plea for selling Ishaq Dar’s assets appeared first on ARYNEWS.



from ARYNEWS https://ift.tt/2RgpWai

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sialkot police bust gang of robbers, seize over Rs20m looted cash

SIALKOT: Police on Tuesday claimed to have busted an infamous gang of robbers and seized Rs20.3 million looted cash from their possession, ARY News reported. A spokesperson for the police confirmed the arrests saying the eight-member gang had looted a pharmaceutical company’s truck full of medicine. He said the looted cash to the tune of Rs20.3 million was also recovered from their possession. The police said the recovered cash and truck have been handed over to their owner. Read More: Youngster battles for life as Punjab police ‘mistakenly’ opens fire on him Earlier, on June 20, Karachi police had apprehended six robbers allegedly involved in a bank robbery of Rs10.5 million last month. The robbers had produced Rs9 million from the bank robbery in front of the police after being taken under arrest. The police also recovered the weapons used by the criminals in the bank robbery. The gang was stated to have a previous record of robbing various places in the city, the police said. ...

Peshawar security forces kill four suspected terrorists

The Peshawar Counter-Terrorism Department personnel gunned down four suspected terrorists after raiding their hideout on the Kohat Road Monday. According to the security forces, the suspects were plotting an attack. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been seized too. On Monday evening, a special CTD team raided the hideout after surrounding it and exchanged fire with them. No CTD personnel was injured in the operation. from SAMAA https://ift.tt/2V8MRbn

Headlines 9am: Karachi to face power outages, coronavirus cases rise

Here are the headlines from SAMAA TV’s 9am bulletin. Pakistan has begun reporting fewer coronavirus infections in the last couple of days. In the last 24 hours, 3,964 cases were reported with 105 deaths. Around 73,000 recoveries have been confirmed so far. Three people were killed in a collision between a motorcycle and ambulance on the Mehran highway. A child was injured as well. Robbers looted a house in Karachi’s Azizabad in broad daylight and in the presence of a policeman. The cop chased the thieves but they were able to escape. SAMAA TV has acquired a CCTV footage of the robbery. A terrorism bid has been foiled in Peshawar. During a raid, security forces eliminated four terrorists. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been recovered. Saudi Arabia has announced it would hold a “very limited” Hajj this year owing to the coronavirus pandemic, with pilgrims already in the kingdom allowed to take part. The Kingdom has informed Pakistan about it as well. Pakistan’s Religious A...