Skip to main content

Qureshi sees change in world leaders’ perception about Kashmir issue

NEW YORK: Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi has said that he sees a palpable and distinct change in the perception of international diplomats about the festering Kashmir dispute.

He was talking to reporters here at the end of his six-day visit to the United Nations during which he attended the 73rd session of its General Assembly as the new representative of Pakistan.

Mr Qureshi said the damning UN Human Rights Council’s report on the state of human rights in India-held Kashmir — which is ignored by India because it details the occupying forces’ atrocities in the valley — had opened the eyes of international diplomats to the humanitarian tragedy in Jammu and Kashmir.

Foreign minister will visit White House tomorrow for talks on bilateral relations

The main thrust of the UN council’s report dealt directly with the severe repression employed by Indian forces against a majority Muslim population in held Kashmir.

“The continuing human tragedy in held Kashmir definitely struck a sympathetic cord among world leaders,” the foreign minister said.

The evidence-based report on the brutalities of Indian security forces in held Kashmir had, in fact, endorsed what Pakistan had been telling the international community about the situation there, he added.

All in all, Mr Qureshi was of the opinion that diplomats at the United Nations were more sensitised to the Kashmir dispute than ever before. He said that during his six-day visit he had had 54 interactions with delegates to the UNGA, including 22 bilateral and 11 multilateral meetings.

“I presented Pakistan’s case to my counterparts as representative of the new government,” Mr Qureshi said, adding that one of his priorities was to reconnect Pakistan with nations that the previous government had virtually ignored.

The foreign minister said he was glad to see that Pakistan was looked at with respect for its positive role at the United Nations, especially as a leading troops’ contributor to the UN peacekeeping operations. He said UN Secretary-General AntĂłnio Guterres had described Pakistan as a “privileged partner of the UN”.

Mr Qureshi said he took the opportunity to draw Mr Guterres’ attention to the jingoistic rhetoric from New Delhi and asked him to warn India against embarking on any misadventure against Pakistan.

The UN chief is due to visit India next week.

Anwar Iqbal in Washington adds: Meanwhile, the Trump administration has added another destination to Foreign Minister Qureshi’s meeting points in the US capital as he would now also visit the White House on Tuesday for talks on bilateral relations.

Mr Qureshi, who arrives in Washington late on Sunday, will spend Monday with Pakistani diplomats and experts, preparing for the crucial talks that begin on Tuesday. The White House is likely to be his first stop on Tuesday where he is scheduled to meet National Security Adviser John Bolton for talks on untangling Pakistan’s ruffled relations with the United States.

From the White House, he proceeds to the State Department for his second meeting, with Secretary of State Michael Pompeo.

Published in Dawn, October 1st, 2018



from The Dawn News - Home https://ift.tt/2DKhDRt
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sialkot police bust gang of robbers, seize over Rs20m looted cash

SIALKOT: Police on Tuesday claimed to have busted an infamous gang of robbers and seized Rs20.3 million looted cash from their possession, ARY News reported. A spokesperson for the police confirmed the arrests saying the eight-member gang had looted a pharmaceutical company’s truck full of medicine. He said the looted cash to the tune of Rs20.3 million was also recovered from their possession. The police said the recovered cash and truck have been handed over to their owner. Read More: Youngster battles for life as Punjab police ‘mistakenly’ opens fire on him Earlier, on June 20, Karachi police had apprehended six robbers allegedly involved in a bank robbery of Rs10.5 million last month. The robbers had produced Rs9 million from the bank robbery in front of the police after being taken under arrest. The police also recovered the weapons used by the criminals in the bank robbery. The gang was stated to have a previous record of robbing various places in the city, the police said. ...

Peshawar security forces kill four suspected terrorists

The Peshawar Counter-Terrorism Department personnel gunned down four suspected terrorists after raiding their hideout on the Kohat Road Monday. According to the security forces, the suspects were plotting an attack. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been seized too. On Monday evening, a special CTD team raided the hideout after surrounding it and exchanged fire with them. No CTD personnel was injured in the operation. from SAMAA https://ift.tt/2V8MRbn

Headlines 9am: Karachi to face power outages, coronavirus cases rise

Here are the headlines from SAMAA TV’s 9am bulletin. Pakistan has begun reporting fewer coronavirus infections in the last couple of days. In the last 24 hours, 3,964 cases were reported with 105 deaths. Around 73,000 recoveries have been confirmed so far. Three people were killed in a collision between a motorcycle and ambulance on the Mehran highway. A child was injured as well. Robbers looted a house in Karachi’s Azizabad in broad daylight and in the presence of a policeman. The cop chased the thieves but they were able to escape. SAMAA TV has acquired a CCTV footage of the robbery. A terrorism bid has been foiled in Peshawar. During a raid, security forces eliminated four terrorists. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been recovered. Saudi Arabia has announced it would hold a “very limited” Hajj this year owing to the coronavirus pandemic, with pilgrims already in the kingdom allowed to take part. The Kingdom has informed Pakistan about it as well. Pakistan’s Religious A...