Skip to main content

Raja Maqpoon takes oath as 6th Gilgit Baltistan governor

The newly appointed governor of Gilgit Baltistan, Raja Jilal Hussain Maqpoon, took his oath on Sunday in the Governor House.

Justice Javed Iqbal, acting chief of the Supreme Appellate Court, administered the oath. Maqpoon, who has now become the 6th governor of the region, is the provincial president of the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI).

On Friday, Mir Ghazanfar Ali Khan had resigned from the governorship of Gilgit-Baltistan. Khan, who belongs to the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), tendered his resignation to President Arif Alvi.

At present, the region is ruled by the PML-N government and the GB assembly’s term will end in 2020.

Media reports suggested that a few days ago a representative of the federal government had held a meeting with Governor Khan and asked him to resign from his post. Khan had decided to resign from his post to avoid any controversy.

According to the GB Order 2018, a person selected for the post of GB governor should be a local resident.

Maqpoon was defeated by PML-N candidate Akbar Khan Taban in the GB Assembly election from the Skardu constituency in 2015 by one vote.

Earlier while talking to Dawn, Maqpoon had said that in a meeting held in Islamabad last week he was asked to assume the GB governor’s office. However, he added, he had suggested that another person from the party should be considered for the post.

According to him, PTI senior leader Jahangir Khan Tareen wanted him to be the GB governor.



from The Dawn News - Home https://ift.tt/2DPbKT0
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sialkot police bust gang of robbers, seize over Rs20m looted cash

SIALKOT: Police on Tuesday claimed to have busted an infamous gang of robbers and seized Rs20.3 million looted cash from their possession, ARY News reported. A spokesperson for the police confirmed the arrests saying the eight-member gang had looted a pharmaceutical company’s truck full of medicine. He said the looted cash to the tune of Rs20.3 million was also recovered from their possession. The police said the recovered cash and truck have been handed over to their owner. Read More: Youngster battles for life as Punjab police ‘mistakenly’ opens fire on him Earlier, on June 20, Karachi police had apprehended six robbers allegedly involved in a bank robbery of Rs10.5 million last month. The robbers had produced Rs9 million from the bank robbery in front of the police after being taken under arrest. The police also recovered the weapons used by the criminals in the bank robbery. The gang was stated to have a previous record of robbing various places in the city, the police said. ...

Peshawar security forces kill four suspected terrorists

The Peshawar Counter-Terrorism Department personnel gunned down four suspected terrorists after raiding their hideout on the Kohat Road Monday. According to the security forces, the suspects were plotting an attack. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been seized too. On Monday evening, a special CTD team raided the hideout after surrounding it and exchanged fire with them. No CTD personnel was injured in the operation. from SAMAA https://ift.tt/2V8MRbn

Headlines 9am: Karachi to face power outages, coronavirus cases rise

Here are the headlines from SAMAA TV’s 9am bulletin. Pakistan has begun reporting fewer coronavirus infections in the last couple of days. In the last 24 hours, 3,964 cases were reported with 105 deaths. Around 73,000 recoveries have been confirmed so far. Three people were killed in a collision between a motorcycle and ambulance on the Mehran highway. A child was injured as well. Robbers looted a house in Karachi’s Azizabad in broad daylight and in the presence of a policeman. The cop chased the thieves but they were able to escape. SAMAA TV has acquired a CCTV footage of the robbery. A terrorism bid has been foiled in Peshawar. During a raid, security forces eliminated four terrorists. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been recovered. Saudi Arabia has announced it would hold a “very limited” Hajj this year owing to the coronavirus pandemic, with pilgrims already in the kingdom allowed to take part. The Kingdom has informed Pakistan about it as well. Pakistan’s Religious A...