Skip to main content

FIA finds Rs2bn in food vendor’s bank account

KARACHI: A food vendor in a low-income neighbourhood of the metropolis was beside himself with surprise when he discovered that an account in his name in a private bank contained more than two billion rupees, it emerged on Saturday.

The account was traced by the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) during its ongoing probe into fake accounts used for money laundering.

However, Muhammad Abdul Qadir — the account holder — turned out to be a food vendor in Orangi Town selling falooda to make ends meet.

“During the course of its probe, the FIA found the account in a private bank with Rs2.5 billion,” said a source. “The FIA then approached the account holder, summoned and questioned him in detail on Sept 17,” the source added. The FIA interviewed him again on Sept 19.

It was found that Abdul Qadir was a falooda seller in the residential area of Orangi Town Sector 8-L who could not read English or or even sign. It was concluded that the account could have been used for illegal transfer of money, the source said.

Only last week, the Supreme Court-mandated Joint Investigation Team (JIT) — set up to probe into money laundering cases — revealed that 33 suspicious accounts were found during the course of inquiry. With the unearthing of 33 more fake accounts, the total number of suspicious accounts rose to 77, said FIA additional director general, Ahsan Sadiq, who was appointed as the JIT head by the apex court. The officials are not sure yet whether the recently-found suspicious bank account in Karachi would be added to the count.

Following the discovery, Abdul Qadir came under media limelight as dozens of DSNG vans were parked outside his 40-yard home. “I was called by FIA people who told me about my bank account which has Rs2.5bn,” he said. “They showed me the photocopy of my ID card which was used for opening the account. I told them that it was my ID card but I never opened an account in the bank. Then they showed me the English signature I had done for the account. I told them that I am an illiterate person and I can’t sign in English,” said the food vendor.

He recalled that he had once worked at a PCO [public call office] in Gulistan-i-Jauhar several years ago and they had asked for his ID card at the time of his appointment. He had quit the job to start his food stall in the area, he added.

Published in Dawn, September 30th, 2018



from The Dawn News - Home https://ift.tt/2DDSTuh
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sialkot police bust gang of robbers, seize over Rs20m looted cash

SIALKOT: Police on Tuesday claimed to have busted an infamous gang of robbers and seized Rs20.3 million looted cash from their possession, ARY News reported. A spokesperson for the police confirmed the arrests saying the eight-member gang had looted a pharmaceutical company’s truck full of medicine. He said the looted cash to the tune of Rs20.3 million was also recovered from their possession. The police said the recovered cash and truck have been handed over to their owner. Read More: Youngster battles for life as Punjab police ‘mistakenly’ opens fire on him Earlier, on June 20, Karachi police had apprehended six robbers allegedly involved in a bank robbery of Rs10.5 million last month. The robbers had produced Rs9 million from the bank robbery in front of the police after being taken under arrest. The police also recovered the weapons used by the criminals in the bank robbery. The gang was stated to have a previous record of robbing various places in the city, the police said. ...

Peshawar security forces kill four suspected terrorists

The Peshawar Counter-Terrorism Department personnel gunned down four suspected terrorists after raiding their hideout on the Kohat Road Monday. According to the security forces, the suspects were plotting an attack. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been seized too. On Monday evening, a special CTD team raided the hideout after surrounding it and exchanged fire with them. No CTD personnel was injured in the operation. from SAMAA https://ift.tt/2V8MRbn

Headlines 9am: Karachi to face power outages, coronavirus cases rise

Here are the headlines from SAMAA TV’s 9am bulletin. Pakistan has begun reporting fewer coronavirus infections in the last couple of days. In the last 24 hours, 3,964 cases were reported with 105 deaths. Around 73,000 recoveries have been confirmed so far. Three people were killed in a collision between a motorcycle and ambulance on the Mehran highway. A child was injured as well. Robbers looted a house in Karachi’s Azizabad in broad daylight and in the presence of a policeman. The cop chased the thieves but they were able to escape. SAMAA TV has acquired a CCTV footage of the robbery. A terrorism bid has been foiled in Peshawar. During a raid, security forces eliminated four terrorists. A cache of weapons and ammunition has been recovered. Saudi Arabia has announced it would hold a “very limited” Hajj this year owing to the coronavirus pandemic, with pilgrims already in the kingdom allowed to take part. The Kingdom has informed Pakistan about it as well. Pakistan’s Religious A...